So I ignored Direct Access and started concentrating on the Lync Edge.
After establishing a “legacy” VPN connection to our corporate network I refreshed Group Policy and voíla, everything (DNS name resolution and DA) is working again.shows the correct entries and only the same 7 entries exist in the registry under DNSPolicy Config Windows 7 Direct Access Troubleshooting During Tech Days 2011, John Craddock presented two great sessions .
The first thing we checked was the Direct Access Connectivity Assistant logs and found the below errors. Windows is unable to resolve corporate network names.
After doing some research we came across the following MS article “ which told us that if the following REGKEY “HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\DNSClient\Enable DAFor All Networks was set to 2 , then this would force the machine to “Never use Direct Access settings”.
One of the labs within the Configuring Windows 8/8.1 course (20687D) enables students to experience Microsoft Direct Access.
So we disabled the GPO, that stopped new clients getting in to this dark place that is broken Direct Access.
Click Change on GPO Settings If you have already got a specific GPO you want to use to provide the client settings you can browse for the GPO or you can create a new GPO by typing in the name.